sick
I have been meaning to post a lot more about our trip, but all 4 of us have been miserably sick. The twins had their first doctor's appointment on Tuesday, and I must say that our pediatrician is amazing!!! I'm very relieved.
While we were there, Izzie peed on Jon while waiting to be weighed and measured, and Elijah pooped all over the nurse as she was trying to take his temperature. (I'm sure when they get older, they'll be really glad that I shared that tidbit of information with the world!)
Elijah had a fever of 103! We got a bunch of medicine for both them and us, and then we bunkered down for a few days. We're all beginning to feel better, but the challenge of parenting twins while you yourself are feeling terrible has been rough. I haven't been the ideal mom lately, and I knew that there would be times like this. I guess I was just hoping that they would come after we'd fully bonded.
Speaking of bonding, the twins are doing really well. They are friendly with other people, but show a definite preference for us. They giggle, smile, laugh, and play. they love to be held, and they have excellent appetites. Both kids are pulling themselves up to stand, and will take steps if you're holding their hands. Izzie loves to mimic the things we do -- she claps her hands and makes all sorts of consonant sounds. Elijah is more laid back with a very sweet smile. They both crawl very quickly and are having a great time exploring their new home.
The only thing that's presented any sort of an issue is naptime. The kids both sleep through the night (unless they need to be changed, but then they go right back to sleep). However, we're trying to get them on a consistent schedule, and that includes putting them down for naps. We wind down by reading some stories together (thank goodness they both love books!!!) and then I give them kisses, tell them that I love them, put them in their cribs, and cover them up.
Then the screaming commences. Sometimes it's brief -- less than 5 minutes. Other times they carry on for a half an hour or more. I don't just let them cry -- I rub their backs and talk soothingly to them. They know that I'm there, and I'm responding to them. I'm not sure what the "right thing" to do is. I don't want to just let them cry it out if that means that they're terrified I'm abandoning them. At the same time, I really don't want to get into the habit of rocking each of them to sleep every naptime. They calm immediately when I pick them up.
ahh, the joys of parenting!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home