Wednesday, November 07, 2007

clarification

There was a comment on my previous post regarding my thoughts on the referral process that I feel the need to address. In the adoption world, there's a whole lot of talk about "the orphans" whose families of origin could not care for them. But there's not a lot of discussion about who these orphans are exactly.

I think many people get a very specific image in their heads of a child with nobody else in the world when they hear the term "orphan". However, here is the current legal definition:

A child is defined as an orphan if (1) Both parents are dead or have disappeared; (2) The parents have abandoned the child; or (3) The sole or surviving parent is incapable of providing proper care for the child and has unconditionally released the child for adoption and emigration. The adoptive parent(s) must provide evidence that the child falls into one of these three categories. "Proper care", as applied in immigration law, means the sole surviving parent is unable to provide for the child's basic needs, consistent with local standards of the foreign-sending country.

This means that a good percentage of the "orphans" we are adopting not only have living relatives, but may have a living parent, and poverty is the main reason that these children are being relinquished. Furthermore, until recently, certain laws in some countries actually created incentives for parents to abandon their children rather than relinquish. All of this is deeply troubling to me.

There are, of course, true orphans. These are children who are living on, or underneath, the streets, begging for their meals. Young girls and women often turn to prostitution simply so that they can survive. But from my understanding, the adoption agencies aren't interested in these "lost children" because they wouldn't be as "marketable" to wide-eyed prospective adoptive families willing to wait in line for healthy infants.

I believe that the children who end up on the streets lack the ability to get themselves into care. Obviously if a parent relinquishes a young child directly to an agency, then that child will likely be cared for. But if a child's family has died and they are completely on their own, it is unlikely that they will even know where to turn for assistance, and so they end up on the streets.

My point is that resources that could (and arguably, should) be used to care for and find permanent homes for the orphans in the truest sense of the word are instead being spent reaching out to pregnant women and presenting the idea of foreign adoption to them.

And truly, what mother could resist the promises of guaranteed nutrition, healthcare and education for their children, even if the trade off is that they may never see those children again?

I need to also clarify the fact that the idea and finality of westernized adoptions are completely alien concepts in most parts of the world, and I wonder whether agencies are telling the families who relinquish their children that those children will one day come back. If the agencies are not explicitly telling the families this, then I wonder whether the families are inferring that this will happen based on their limited knowledge of the western adoption process. Either of these scenarios are problematic, especially if the adoptive families of these children are not informed that this is a part of the deal.

So ultimately I believe it is our responsibility to look at how our child requests, fueled by the power of our American dollars, impact the adoption agencies' ability and incentive to reach out and provide services to true orphans. I believe that's where the resources should be going, and those are the children that agencies should be most concerned with placing. Concurrently, I believe that other social justice agencies should be working to help families reach a point of economic stability and sustainability so that fewer families will be compelled to relinquish their children.

7 Comments:

At 10:23 AM , Blogger Alexandra said...

Thanks for the clarification of the definition of an orphan - to me, it has always been a child with deceased parents or a child who has been abandoned. Is there a resource that breaks down how many of Ethiopia's "orphans" fit in these two categories versus being relinquished by their parents?

 
At 1:48 PM , Blogger FrogMom said...

I agree with a lot of what you have to say, Jayme, but I disagree with this part:

“There are, of course, true orphans. These are children who are living on, or underneath, the streets, begging for their meals. Young girls and women often turn to prostitution simply so that they can survive...”

Honestly, I don’t know that there are many “true” orphans – if what you mean by that term is a child who has absolutely no one. I imagine most children have some surviving extended family, at least. I recently read BBC article profiling a lot of the street children in Addis Ababa who were living underground, and it seemed many of them were runaways from nearby villages, who presumably had a number of family members alive and well (and probably looking for them). There are also organizations that care for these children, although legally many of them cannot be adopted because their “orphan” status cannot be verified. Our girls are at KM – a Catholic orphanage that cares for children from many different backgrounds, including kids who cannot be placed for adoption like street children and children whose parents are alive and well but are in prison, for example.

I would be interested to hear more of your thoughts about the adoptive placement of children who are abandoned. Personally, I believe if a country makes it illegal for parents to relinquish their children they should also make it illegal to place children who are found abandoned. If you place abandoned children but not relinquished children, you force the most vulnerable parents in a really terrible position. I cringe when people talk about adopting abandoned children as simpler and more “moral” – the only person it is easier on is the adoptive parent, IMO. Making relinquishment illegal forces a parent who truly cannot care for his or her child to abandon that child. It deprives them of the peace of mind that knowing their child is being raised in a loving home and of maybe even receiving updates and occasional visits with that child if they choose.

I also have a problem with adoption agencies coercing parents to give up their children – I think just about everyone would agree that that is morally wrong. I also think that all of the parents and family members involved in the adoption need to know what the adoption means. I think that a lot of agencies could use more oversight to ensure that everything is happening in an ethical manner. However, I do think it should be possible for a parent to be able to legally relinquish their right to raise their child, as long as they understand what that means. It is a terrible, awful thing and causes us all to stare the ugliness of social injustice right in the face, but it is a reality that many parents do not have the resources to care for their children. And of course we all need to work to make that not happen anymore – but what do we do in the meantime? In order for this to change there have to be huge, sweeping, economic and social changes – things that do not happen overnight.

I think that there is almost always moral ambiguity when it comes to adoption, and adding a transracial and international aspect to it makes it even more so. I also think that the reason for a child’s placement for adoption almost always, ultimately, comes down to poverty. I know I am preaching to the choir here, but it probably is worth saying again that adoption is not charity and it is not a solution to any country’s problem. It is a mixed bag of blessings and sorrow for everyone (except maybe the first parents, who it may be nothing but sorrow for).

 
At 3:46 PM , Blogger jayme said...

Alexandra:
The information that we've been given by CHSFS is that 2/3 of the children that they place are relinquished by a family member (not necessarily a parent) and the remaining 1/3 is abandoned (presumably also by a family member, but maybe not in all cases). I think a lot of prospective adoptive parents have the vision of a "true orphan" in their minds, and I just think that the agencies should be a little more forthcoming about who the children are that are coming into care.

Kellie: I *so* appreciate hearing your perspective on these issues. And I agree that if we look hard enough, almost everyone has *someone* somewhere.

I think what you said about documentation is absolutely true, and probably does have a lot to do with why these children are "allowed" to live the way that they do. I'm glad to hear that there are organizations providing care for at least some of those children.

I absolutely believe that the laws should be changed so that families have as little incentive as possible to abandon their children. I can't even begin to imagine the level of desperation a parent must feel when they decide to abandon their child.

Morally speaking, I would feel much, much better about things if I could say for certain that all families placing children for adoption have been through options counseling (preferably provided by a neutral third party who does not stand to benefit from a specific outcome) and then chosen to provide informed consent to relinquish their child(ren) for adoption. While I think nearly everyone in the world would agree that coercing parents to relinquish their children is morally wrong, I think it would be pretty difficult to come to an agreement about what exactly coercion would entail. And thus begins the ambiguity...

I also would feel a lot better if I didn't hear so many adoptive families chaff at the thought that their child(ren) have 2 families. We don't own our kids. Through our experience with adopting the twins, my idea of family has expanded incredibly. I'm not threatened by the existence of my children's Ethiopian family. In fact, I'm thrilled that we will (hopefully) be able to maintain that connection throughout our children's lives.

Finally, I want to make it completely clear that in no way am I anti-adoption. I simply want to be sure that protective measures are in place for all members of the adoption circle.

Thanks to all who've commented for the discussion and thinking points!

 
At 4:25 PM , Blogger FrogMom said...

Thanks for the response Jayme! I agree with you on all points as you stated them here, particularly as you touched on the ambiguity of what actually constitutes coercion. It is a very slippery slope.

I also want to clarify that I certainly think that "street children" are under-served as a group and probably ignored entirely by most adoption agencies, since they are not legally adoptable. I believe even KM does not take in children from the street who are over the age of eight. I have no idea what other services are available to them, but I doubt it is much by anyone's standards.

You started quite a discussion here - you should be proud :)

 
At 8:33 AM , Blogger Nikki said...

Great post. Your kids are gorgeous! Looking forward to reading more...

Nikki
http://www.cafepress.com/heroholiday08

 
At 8:54 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

Thank you for bringing a dose of reality to the blog world of adoptive parents. I especially have thought a lot about your statement about "Waiting for Referrals" and the whining that exists among waiting parents and whatnot. It is so difficult to not feel anxious and impatient about receiving the best gift one could ever receive. But that is such a superficial way for us to look at it, as you implied. I feel like I have been handed a heavy burden that never leaves my subconscious. *Someone* has paid for my joy. And like you said, when you are still close to your adoption, it is hard to even think about it... you just want to enjoy it and push the hard thoughts away, but I know I must keep it in the forefront of my mind and heart. I cannot forget. I shouldn't forget.

One instance is when many well meaning friends who are Christians as I am say things like, You are so blessed to have her! God chose her for you! And of course we feel so blessed!!! But it is so hard to know that *someone* (as Kellie pointed out almost all orphans have someone) out there is "less blessed" if you go by this line of reasoning and didn't get the chance to raise this amazing precious child. The God I serve did not desire for any children or families to be in such a position to not be able to care for their own. A society like ours that has allowed this to happen... God cannot be pleased. How can such injustice exist. Thank you for all your thoughts.

 
At 7:09 AM , Blogger Alexandra said...

Thanks for responding to the comments. As always, it is really interesting to me to read the perspective of adoptive parents and adoption reform advocates.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home