Wednesday, October 24, 2007

argh!!!

On Monday night Jon and I finally re-joined our gym. We had been wanting to do it for months, but always found some excuse to talk ourselves out of it. Our latest hesitation had to do with how the kids might respond to spending time in the childcare center. They've been home for about 8 months, but they really haven't been away from us (or immediate family members) in all that time. We were concerned that they'd freak out.

Even so, We both feel like we need to start working out regularly again to relieve stress and feel healthier. I also love the idea that I can (potentially) have some time to myself a few days a week. I think that I would be a much better mother if I practice a little self-care here and there. I could (again, potentially) get a massage while my kids are in the childcare center. I *know* that I would be a fantastic mother if I got regular massages. Anyway, back to the story...

So, Monday night comes and we go to the club. We take the kids to the childcare center, and they're totally excited to check things out. Within seconds, Little Miss Independence is 50 feet away and Elijah's not far behind. So we leave them there to make new friends and explore.

We go through the signup process and have our photos taken. They haven't paged us, so we figure that things must be going alright with the kids. When we return to the childcare center, Izzie greets us with a gigantic smile and an exuberant "HI!!!". Elijah looks at me and bursts into tears, obviously pissed that we left him there. We talked to both of the twins and let them know that this was a fun place to come play while mommy and daddy take care of themselves, and that we will always come back for them.

The next day, I took the kids to the gym by myself. We got a good parking spot, I loaded up with my gym bag, the diaper bag, and both babies, and in we go. I carried them all the way to the childcare center (down 3 flights of stairs, in and out of 2 carseats, and 500+ feet with 45 extra pounds in your arms is a workout in itself!) and checked them in. I took off their coats, got them settled in the room, and went to work out. I didn't linger because I thought that a long, drawn out goodbye would only make things worse. They seemed to be okay when I left.

I got through 15 minutes on the elliptical machine before the childcare center paged me because both of my children were crying hysterically.

This is going to be a long road...

Tonight, all four of us went. I prepped the kids all day about how they were going to the playroom and how Mommy and Daddy were going to go away for a little while, but that we would always come back and get them. I printed out pictures of our whole family for each of them to look at if they felt sad. Jon checked them in, and left to start his workout. I stayed with them, got them settled with an activity, and talked to the caregiver for a little while. When I sensed a safe moment, I escaped.

This time they lasted 25 minutes. It's an improvement.

For others who have been there, done that, I'll take any advice you've got. Unfortunately my kids aren't really attached to any specific dolls or blankets or anything, so a transitional object won't really work. I had hoped that the photos would work, and I'm planning to put their photo albums from Ethiopia back together with more recent pictures, but beyond that, I'm just not sure what else to do. Jon and I have agreed to stagger our workouts slightly so that we each have the hope of completing at least one portion of it, but I'd be thrilled if I could make it through a full workout and maybe even take a shower. Is that too much to ask???

5 Comments:

At 8:17 PM , Blogger cathy said...

Do you know why I joined the YMCA when Carver was a baby? So I could take a LONG shower and blow dry my hair and feel like a human being. Add a massage to that and heck, I could run for president! Rest assured your kids are completely NORMAL... and the child care workers deal with this issue on a regular day-by-day, hour-by-hour basis. They're pretty good at figuring out when to distract a child and when a child really is past the point of no return in crying. Your kids will adjust, although it's hard if it's not as quick as you would like. Your kids are smart, and they love you. I'd be more concerned if they didn't cry after you left for a while. You're doing great. Hang in there.

 
At 8:31 PM , Blogger Stacy said...

I don't have real advice, just an idea. Even if it's a pain in the patoot, go on the days you'd normally like to work out (m,w,f???) and leave for 10, 20 etc, however long it takes to get paged. Return and get the babies. Start again the next day. For some kids (not mine, but at least two kids I regularly care for) lots of preparation in terms of talking etc leads to more anxiety. Treating it like a normal routine and hopefully in a few weeks you'll have sanity. Good luck, the shower sounds heavenly!

 
At 6:23 AM , Blogger rebekah said...

Jayme,

You are already ahead of me. When Quinn was about 3 months old I took him to the Y and took a pilates class. When I returned (didn't shower, could barely keep myself away) he was cryng hysterically after a toddler whacked him in the face with a plastic toy. They didn't page me. I could barely keep in the tears. Needless to say I never went back.

I think you're doing exactly the right thing. Hang in there!

Also, hope to see you soon!

 
At 6:39 AM , Blogger Hoffbeauty said...

Hey, Jayme! Way to go, Mom! This is a big step...but a good one.

I, personally, am all about leaving the kids in childcare and teaching them to be independent and to know that they can trust me to come back. Of course, that involves the "teaching" part...which involves learning...and practice...and time. So, I think that you're totally on the right track. You're right--25 min. IS an improvement, and likely, it'll just keep improving from there.

My advice, actually, is NOT to give them photo albums of your family for while they're there. They need to be engaged with something else for awhile, and in my experience, pictures of the people that they're not currently with will very likely lead to more sadness. Just be matter-of-fact and routine about it, like Stacy said, and they'll eventually catch on--and probably love it! You will get paged a few (or more!) times, but eventually, they'll get it. Give it a good month or so.

One more thing--the stress of teaching them this now is WAY better than waiting 'til they are 2 or 3, have never been away from you, and you get to the point where you can't go anywhere by yourself without worrying about how the caregiver (not to mention, the children!) is doing. I have friends who have completely dropped out of their normal routines because their children "just can't handle it." That's so sad to me. They're just kiddos...they don't know HOW to handle it unless we teach them!

Soapbox...hello.

Can't wait to hear about the progress! :)

 
At 8:14 AM , Blogger Angela :-) said...

Good advice given so far. I ditto Stacy on treating it matter of factly. I've got at least one kiddo that I can't make a big deal of anything or he freaks out. (His music teacher told him she'd like him to be in the holiday program this year & his anxiety is up already.) Anyway, the only thing I would add is don't sneak out on them. Even if they cry, let them know you're leaving. Sneaking out only intensifies the situation for them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home