Thursday, July 19, 2007

food glorious food

I'm starting to wonder whether I should be concerned about how much my children eat.

Today for breakfast, each of the twins ate two and a half slices of banana bread, two slices of vegetarian bacon, and some fruit.

Isabel also ate the lion's share of a two pound box of strawberries (We all know how much Isabel loves strawberries, but that's a little ridiculous. Two pounds is more than 10% of her body weight!)

Other unbelievable eating experiences include:
1. An entire loaf of sourdough bread devoured by twins who had eaten a full meal just an hour or so beforehand
2. Veggie bacon, fruit, and 6 pancakes each (And they would have eaten more if we had allowed them... Jon and I were completely stuffed after 4 pancakes!)
3. An entire banana, several pieces of bread, and three gigantic scoops of garlic mashed potatoes about an hour after they had eaten an entire meal of rice cereal, peas, and applesauce.
4. An entire bratwurst each, grilled veggies, corn, watermelon, and mounds of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and blackberries.

If they put away this much food at 1, I'm terrified to think of what they might be eating as teenagers!

I have never seen these children turn away from food. I try my best to feed them only reasonably healthy foods, lots of fruits and veggies, etc. but they are definite carb addicts. Elijah has recently learned to say "cracker" which is their favourite snack. He will now follow me around the house all day long saying "cracker?" and pointing vigorously to the area of the kitchen where they are kept.

The kids have been taking medication every day, and Elijah likes to spit his out instead of swallowing it. Today I reasoned with him. I told him that he could have a cracker if he took his medicine without any problems. The kid drank his medicine down like there was no tomorrow and then looked at me and said "cracker?" Don't tell me 1 year olds don't understand what we're saying.

As I walked toward the kitchen, Elijah began bouncing in his chair, repeating "cracker" with a gigantic smile on his face. oh boy.

On the one hand, I'm thrilled that my children are starting to communicate with me and express their desires in more sophisticated ways. I certainly don't want to discourage this by brushing off their requests. However, just how many crackers should I be giving these kids in one day? If I didn't cut them off, they would easily polish off the entire box! My policy right now is to give them each a cracker or two (depending on when they last ate) when they first ask me for them. Then when they continue to ask, I tell them "no more crackers" to let them know that I've heard their request, and try to re-direct their attention.

The twins are 15 months old. They're both teeny tiny for their age (their weight absolutely does not reflect all that they eat) and neither one of them has even made it to the American growth charts. we've talked to 2 different doctors (our regular pediatrician and an international adoption specialist) and they aren't concerned. The twins have both been battling chronic giardia since we arrived home in February, and I'm sure those parasites are sucking away a lot of the nutrition that they would normally be getting from their food. My first priority is to get rid of the giardia. At that point, I will further assess their food issues.

7 Comments:

At 6:47 AM , Blogger Tasha Kent said...

Ack. This post just made me put down the sleeve of Oreos I was getting ready to finish. To me, a sleeve is 'one serving.'

Cheers!

 
At 7:39 AM , Blogger rebekah said...

I love the title to your post. I'm impressed with what you're feeding them. No advice really, since our son has never been much of an eater. (I remember when he was about 15 months and ate 3 scrambled eggs and I was shocked. Now, a bite of egg is all he'll do.)

But I do know that at that age kids eat what they need.

 
At 11:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fabulous children's story "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" comes to mind.

All the little caterpillar wants to do is eat and eat and eat. Strawberries are one the food items I might add :) Anyway, you know the story...in the end this glorious little caterpillar that makes one give wonder to where s/he is putting all of this food, becomes an incredibly beautiful butterfly (work with the symbolism here).

Since you didn't ask my opinion, I think I'll give it anyway. They are just storing up all that is needed to make them be able to beautifully fly/walk!

That is my abstract, symbolic and philosophical twist to your dilemma. Now let them eat and stop all of this worrying!

Wait! Cupcakes is one of the food items the caterpillar ate too. I'll be right over!!!

 
At 4:30 PM , Blogger Anne said...

Hayat eats like there's no tomorrow, too. However, I know I'm subconsciously comparing her appetite with her older sister's -- Isa lives on air and the occasional tortilla.

Sounds like the twins are compensating for the parasites, and I guess that's good, because there's sure to be enough to go around, right?

Still, it must be hard to keep the kitchen open all the time!

 
At 7:46 AM , Blogger Heather said...

HI!!! I love your blog and read regularly! I just have to laugh at this post because just a couple days ago I posted about the same thing... see here:
http://johnson-mccormickfamily.blogspot.com/2007/07/notes-from-executive-chef.html

My twins have been eating INCREDIBLE amounts of food right from the start. Some highlights have been 6 bananas in one day when they were about 12 months old; an entire box of macaroni and cheese when they were about 16 months old; eating full adult sized servings of cheddar & brocoli soup and multi-grain bread at Panara when they were about 24 months old; four yogurts in one sitting when they were 2.5; and recently -- polishing off full adult sized servings of pasta alfredo at an italian restaurant. They can eat incredible amounts. They were not on the charts for height or weight when we got them... now they are literally OFF the charts. But they are still on a "high fat diet" per our pediatrician because they have zero body fat. GO FIGURE>>>>> ??!!
Anyway, I can totally relate to your situation! And really, it is such a beautiful thing to see them eat like that, isn't it?!!
Mine are carb addicts just like yours --- One of my boys' absolute favorite foods has always been hummus on wheat bread. They also LOVE whole wheat penne pasta with pesto sauce! Try those if you haven't already! :)
Heather
:) :)

 
At 1:35 PM , Blogger D said...

Umm.. Have you reviewed how tasty your food offerings sound? I think I might come on over and eat 10% of my body weight too!!

My son ate until he couldn't see food also. It took about 6-9 months and curing of the giardia before that went away. Maybe he was just so hungry for so long that it took a while for his brain/body to accept that the food supply would continue?

Now, he just eats like a bear going into hibernation when he gets injera and wat.

 
At 5:57 PM , Blogger cathy said...

Jayme--Little Z eats like the world is coming to an end tomorrow. Especially strawberries. I've learned to say, "all done" and most of the time he accepts it. For breakfast this morning he ate 5 whole wheat pancakes, 11 strawberries, orange juice, toast, and a bowl of cereal with milk. HELLO! If I ate that much I would vomit. I don't get it. Is it because there is so much produce available for them? Is it because there is 24 hour access to the kitchen? Neither of my other kids ever ate like that. Z eats as much as my other 2 combined. Good to know I'm not the only one.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home