In honour of mothers
This mothers' day is bittersweet for me. As amazing as it is to have realized my dream of becoming a mother, I can't help but feel a profound sadness that my own mother isn't here to share in the joy, wonder, and amazement of her grandchildren. It's been a hard year for me, marked by both tragic loss and immeasurable gain. This mothers' day, I would like to take a moment to pay tribute to some of the remarkable women in my life who have inspired me, supported me, and helped shape who I am today:
To Pat, my mother. Your quiet strength and never-ending generousity touched so many lives. Thank you for giving me life, thank you for teaching me what you learned about living, and thank you for letting me discover my own truths in my own time. We miss you every day, but your legacy will live on for many generations.
To Kasech, my children's Ethiopian mother. You have offered me the most extraordinary gift in the world by sharing these beautiful children with me. Tsege and Geremu are such vibrant little souls, and I have no doubt that their innate joy and wonderment is a direct result of the love you showed them. We think of you often and will remember you always.
To Janet, my foster mother, who helped me see what family could be.
To Nancy. I am so inspired by your commitment to honor and celebrate your daughter's unique personality. It is so much fun to watch her bloom! Thank you for being you.
To Diane, for finding the humour in every crazy situation. Thank you for tempering seriousness with pure silliness, and providing balance to what could easily be an overwhelming task. And thank you for sharing your experiences with the rest of us.
To Sarah. I watch the way that you interact with your boys, and I hope that one day I will be as confident, energetic, and honest with my own children. Thank you for radiating such positivity, and for making the most out of every teachable moment.
To the moms of my preschoolers. Thank you for allowing me to know your phenomenal children. And thank you for the support, encouragement, and words of wisdom as I fumble my way into motherhood.
To the blogging moms out there (particularly Larisa, Anne, Stacy, Carrie, and many many more...) Thank you for allowing me into your lives. You encourage me to keep documenting our journey so that one day I can share these stories with Isabel and Elijah. (And it is just so much fun to see how your children grow!)
To all of the mothers-to-be who are currently preparing to welcome their little ones home. Your excitement and dreams for the future motivate me to live for the present.
To the experienced moms who take time out of their days to hand down knowledge and offer advice. Thank you for helping me learn from your successes and your "failures".
To all the moms out there who strive every day to do right by their children. Who have mastered the art of challenging them while still providing comfort and stability. I hope that I will eventually join your ranks.
Happy mothers day!


2 Comments:
What beautiful words. Thank you for sharing and Happy Mother's Day!
Stacie
Jayme,
What a wonderful, touching post. I am not sure if I am the Carrie you are referring to, but if so, I am truly honored. I feel so lucky to have cyber met such amazing people through this wonderous adoption process.
So often people mistakenly tell me how lucky Maia is. I am sure you have heard the same. But you and I know who the truly lucky ones are.
Happy Belated Mother's Day Mama!
Carrie
PS I am going to be in Chicago July 8th-12th. :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home