a quick poll
Here's the question of the day:
I know we're all super busy, but how much quality time are you able to spend with your kids each day?
I ask because since we got home, I've been spending the greater part of the day reading, singing and playing with the twins. This time I'm getting to spend with them is wonderful, but I'm also aware that I am completely neglecting just about every other necessary task. I guess I'm having trouble finding balance. (Let's just say my house is a disaster area).
I'm also very interested in hearing about other families' daily "rituals", as I do believe the quality of the time spent is ultimately more important than the amount...
Thanks in advance!


9 Comments:
I've loved the responses you got on the forum. Great advice. To be honest, you haven't THAT long with the twins. Give yourself some grace. Figure out what your bare minimums are and stick with those. After several weeks, add a few more items to your bare minimums list...and so on. Hope this helps.
I meant to say you haven't been home that long with the twins...
Another thing that turns into a disaster area post-children is your brain!
I definately agree with Cathy on the post-child brain disaster. Sometimes, I clean just because I wouldn't dare attempt anything else, like reading, writing, speaking or paying the bills. I feel like that balance is such a fleeting thing ... you almost feel high after you've had a "balanced" day or moment. For the most part, I guess it's attempting to not spend too much time coasting and getting bogged down by stressors and just make life a series of moments!
This is the time to bond! Let the house go! Do you know the poem, Prayer for a 5th Child?
They will only be this little once. Enjoy it!
(Long term, look into a cleaning lady, its the best money we spend)
Jayme, how in the world do you read to your twins? I can't read our trips anything because they grab the books from me, rip them up, chew up the pages and gnaw on the binding!
You guys won the Design Mom give away.... did you see that yet?
As for the kid thing.... it is a lifelong balance between spending time w/ the kids or getting the rest of your life in order....if you are doing the best you can and being sensitive to their needs and your needs you will find it somewhere in the middle. It is a line that changes all the time. You are doing great
Wow, Bek, what a great thing to discover on a Monday morning!
I've gotten lots of great advice, and I'm working on a plan to get things under control. I think a weekly cleaning schedule will be incredibly helpful.
And Cindy, I think we just got really lucky. The twins love books, and actually sit pretty well for them. We read a lot throughout the day.
Thanks again, everyone
I honestly think that priorities just have to change once you have children. As nice as a spotless house is, raising and nurturing your children is so much more important in the grand scheme of life. Obviously you can't live in filth, but less frequent cleaning won't hurt anything. Love on your babies for now. You have all waited a long time for that opportunity. Take advantage of it while you can. It won't be long before they will be running off to play, and those cuddles will fewer and farther between.
I am the bio parent to a 3 year old and 15 month old twins (all girls).... and let me tell you I have had to learn to "pick my battles"... normally playing with my children wins... :)
There will be time for a clean house, all the laundry being done etc when your children are in college and don't need as much of your attention....
They are only LITTLE ONCE so enjoy it....
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home