a momentary brush with fame
So yesterday we got a call from our homestudy agency (no, unfortunately it was not that call). They had been approached by a local news station about interviewing a family who is currently in the process of adopting internationally, and our homestudy social worker recommended us for the job.
Apparently this news station wanted to do a more in-depth story about the realities of international adoption in light of the Madonna fiasco. I have to say, I was definitely tempted to do it, only because I feel like there are so few positive messages about adoption out there and I thought it might be a good opportunity to give voice to the positive side of things. However, I was also immediately concerned about what the news station's actual spin would be, and we both feared what might come out of creative editing. I also wondered if I could be trusted to speak freely in my current, crazed, pre-referral state. It just might not be the best image to put forth.
In the end, logistically, we couldn't do it. They wanted to tape today. At our house. Let me just tell you that I have so many projects going right now that I'm not even sure I can find my living room, let alone feel comfortable inviting a news crew with cameras into it so that they could broadcast my mess to the rest of the world. I can see the headlines now: Ethiopian government appauled at the clutter in American adoptive home, International adoptions temporarily delayed.
I can't take responsibility for that. (Though it seems a pretty clear sign that I should clean my house.)
UPDATE:Here's the link to the interview that did air. In the end, I'm glad we opted not to do it. It focused far more on Madonna than it did on the actual realities of international adoption, which is exactly what we were concerned about.
http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=27149@wbbm.dayport.com


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home