"oh wow, cupcakes!!!"
That's Elijah's response every time we indulge in the delicious little bites of heaven. We've been quite spoiled by the cupcake offerings in our area, and have made it our mission to try as many different types and flavours as we can. I'm planning to add a review of the different places we've tried as soon as we get to the bottom of our list!
Sweet Mandy B's - This place is unbelievable. Classic desserts, nothing too fancy or over the top, but the cupcakes are moist and melt in your mouth, and the frosting is perfect - not overly sweet. Some reviewers have made the claim that Sweet Mandy B's cupcakes are even better than those at the legendary Magnolia. I'll have to wait until my next trip to NYC to test out that claim, but for the time being, Sweet Mandy B's tops my list!
Swirlz -Their motto is "cupcakes make people happy". Oh how true! We tried the Bittersweet Chocolate, Gluten free Lemon, Vanilla Bean, and Firecracker Chocolate (which was a chocolate cupcake with candied jalapeno and cinnamon buttercream...yum!) The cupcakes were gorgeously decorated and very tasty, but generally lacked that lagniappe to make them really stand out.
M.Henry - We went to brunch here once and it was phenomenal. On the way out the door, we noticed that they also sell cupcakes. On a separate occasion, Jon surprised me with one of their red velvet cupcakes. It was huge, delicious, and the cream cheese frosting was the perfect compliment.
The following are alsoi on my list to try, but we haven't had the opportunity yet!
Molly's Cupcakes
Cupcakes
Southport Grocery
Bleeding Heart Organic Bakery


3 Comments:
Is it totally lame to plan a trip to Chicago just so I can drive around and try all these places? Is there such a thing as having too many cupcakes? My heart says no, but the law of diminishing returns implies otherwise. Maybe I'll try it anyway.
well, I don't think you should come to chicago *just* for the cupcakes. However, if you'd like to hang out with us for a while *and* eat some really amazing cupcakes, I think it would be a pretty great trip.... I'm just sayin'
Pass on the Magnolia Bakery cupcakes. I know they are famous and such, but I have had them three times and the frosting is so overwhelmingly suger that you immeadiately want to schedule an appointment with the dentist.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home