Friday, April 25, 2008

models?

Well, we made it through our first illness. On Tuesday both kids barely got out of bed at all. They slept through the night until about 1:30 when they woke up asking to eat. Luckily there were no more puking episodes. Ofter lunch, they fell back asleep for another couple of hours until they woke up asking for dinner. Once again after eating they went right back to sleep. The next day they felt much better.

Now, to the title of this post. Unfailingly, every single time we go anywhere, at least one person (and often several) stops us to tell me how beautiful they think the twins are. Now, I'm a proud momma, and of course *I* think my kids are among the most beautiful in the world, but I've always sort of written these kinds of comments off as giving people a "polite" reason to stare. I've often wondered if we'd get so much attention if they weren't twins or if our family "matched".

However, recently, random people on the street have become insistent that they should model. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I'm actually starting to consider the idea. I hold no dreams of making this any sort of "career", and would never push my children to do anything they don't want to do, but if we found the right opportunity, it might be fun.

My biggest hesitation is that I'm not sure they have the personalities for it. For the most part, the twins are pretty sweet, happy, adaptable, easygoing kids, and when they're in the right mood, they can charm the pants off of a pretty big crowd. But they can also be shy and slow to warm up to strangers. And they're about to be two. I think that explains a lot about where their minds are at this point.

I'm curious to hear from anybody with experience / connections / a friend of a friend who got their child into modeling. Is it completely intrusive? Are there ways to do it while maintaining a normal life? (I'm thinking it would be cool if they could model for some of our favourite clothing lines.) How would we even get started? Any insight / advice would be much appreciated.

4 Comments:

At 7:10 AM , Blogger Cindy said...

I hate to admit this, but I have often thought T should model. He looks like a lot of black kids I see modeling these days (he's got the big electric coiled hair that's so popular--he looks like Will Smith's son in that movie). And he's got a HUGE personality and not very shy, really loves people. .. but he cannot sit still for a second; very squirmy.

Let me know if you get any good advice ;). And yes, your kids *could* be models, they are gorgeous and have unique looks, but *should*, I dunno. Seems a little scary.

BTW, my mom thinks Izzie looks a little like Tsega.

 
At 7:13 AM , Blogger Cindy said...

P.S. I also hate to admit this, but most little kid models who are black look very light skinned, maybe bi-racial (which really ticks me off that this is usually the look in kids online/paper catalogs and such). My kids do not fit the paler profile.

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger Monica Lidya's Mom said...

Hi Jayme,

I read your blogs regularly but this is the first time I've commented. I can tell you all about this modelling thing. My daughter came home from Ethiopia in Dec 2005 at 3.5 months old and I would get the same "she should be a model" comments from everyone. Our family does match so I don't think that's why people are commenting, your twins are very, very beautiful and from what I've seen very photogenic.

Lidya modeled through an agency called Generations that was bought by Ford Models. She worked pretty steadily for about four months, than the fun of it just sort of wore off and it started to seem like a job so "we" quit. If you want more details just send me an email. mmrobinson@yahoo.com

 
At 8:46 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

I had a good friend who's daughter did model. She said there was a lot of waiting for appointments but it worked just fine when her daughter was little. My thought is: why not try something that might help pay for college down the road??

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home