Monday, March 17, 2008

Grandma

On Sunday it will have been a year and a half since my mom died. It has not gotten any easier, and I'm not sure whether people who still have their mothers around realize how lucky they are. This past year has been very hard for me. Don't get me wrong, it has been amazing and wonderful in so many, many ways. But in each milestone reached, in every event celebrated, in each hardship overcome, there has been a nagging sense of loss.

I often question whether I'm a good enough mother. There are so many days when I barely have the energy to make breakfast, let alone plan interesting and fun activities for my children. I sometimes have to take a break from visiting other people's blogs because I feel so inferior. And of course I realize that blogs are intended to celebrate children's accomplishments and document the good times, and that most people would choose not to air their dirty laundry in a place so public as the internet. But still, when hear so many happy things going on in the lives of other people (especially in stories relating to grandmas) it sometimes makes me feel incredibly lonely.

I guess I'm putting myself out there because I want to let anyone else who struggles with these kinds of feelings that they're not alone. I feel like there is such immense social pressure on mothers to always be perfect, and that just hasn't been the reality of parenthood (at least for me).

Before my mom died, I spent many hours visiting with her in the hospital. I asked her tons of questions about her life, and wrote down her answers (though sometimes I think she just made stuff up so that I would stop bothering her). I went through all of her old photo albums, made copies of the pictures, and compiled all of the information into a memory book of her life. It was catharsis for me, and I knew that this would be the only way I could introduce my children to their grandma. Just before she died, I asked my mom what she wanted her grandchildren to know about her. She told me to "just make sure they know I love them very much".

When my mom died, a family friend who is a jeweler had necklaces made for each of us. The pendant is a copy of my mother's actual thumb print, so that she can always be with us. When the kids first came home, I stopped wearing the necklace for fear that the twins would pull it off of my neck. Just recently I began wearing it again, and the twins took immediate interest in it. I explained to them that it is grandma's thumb print. Now whenever I'm holding one of the twins, they reach up, grab the necklace, say "grandma" and kiss her thumb print.

Today I brought out the memory book to show the kids. They immediately recognized grandma (they've seen pictures of her before) and sat attentively while we paged through the entire book. They especially enjoyed pointing out the people they knew, and seeing baby pictures of Grandma, Mama, and Nay Nay.
I'm glad that Isabel and Elijah have this book to keep her memory alive, but I'm sad that they won't get to experience her warmth, kindness, and love firsthand. She would have been an incredible grandma.

5 Comments:

At 12:28 PM , Blogger Alexandra said...

What a lovely post - it brought me to tears. I love the thumbprint concept and love the idea that the children are enjoying looking through the album. What a wonderful way to have them connect with your mom. And hugs to you for the tough times you have had.

 
At 4:01 PM , Blogger Cindy said...

Jayme, that is really quite sad--even though you indeed have had the most amazing year--especially because your mom never learned of your beautiful children. To lose one's parent so young and at such a turning point in your life . . . I can't stand the thought of never seeing my mom again. Jerry's dad died when he was just 13 and the man was a saint. What clear-headedness to gather all those memories at a scary sad time.

It's funny what you say about feeling inferior because truth is, there have been times I have read of your children on this very blog (and MP's blog) and came away feeling "inferior". I've thought, man, her kids are talking sentences, potty training, signing, knows some colors. . . AND she actually *plans* activities for her kids. . . what the heck have I been doing wrong as a mother? Why don't my kids talk, why are they still so immature, should I be buying flash cards or planning more sophisticated events for my babes? I really suck and do nothing to advance my boys. . .Not to mention you have a great community of adoptive families in your area and I feel so lonesome for such a community.

Ha ha, just goes to show you, comparing over the fence is just wrong and flawed! We can't be super heroes, but you're obvioulsy doing a super mom job and have had a great time with your twins and they are so heart-breaking. I bet many people who are waiting for referrals come here and just sigh and wish they were so lucky. :)

 
At 9:31 PM , Blogger Vianne said...

My mother died last July, and as I wait for my referral I have many of the same thoughts that you express. She also would have been a great grandma - kids loved her. She was warm and creative, and she could draw anything, and sew stuffed animals, and clothes, and bake muffins without a recipe, and all sorts of good mom things that I don't know how to do. I'm also feeling that the more time I spend with little children, the more I understand what she experienced as a parent, and the more I appreciate her patience and wisdom. I wish I had understood some of these things while she was here.

I'm feeling for you. I'm glad you wrote.

 
At 6:40 PM , Blogger Stacie said...

You have me in tears too - beautifully written.

And - you're so right about the pressure to be perfect. I think our blogs often leave out the tough times - I've thought about writing about the struggles, but never want to appear ungrateful for all that we have while others are still waiting. It's a hard line. But, you're not alone - none of us are perfect! (Well, at least I know I'm not!)

 
At 7:48 AM , Blogger cathy said...

Nothing hurts me as much as the fact that my dad never met Zinabu--never even knew we would have a 3rd child. This post was so helpful for me... thanks for being so transparent.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home