Thursday, August 16, 2007

Potty training...

I have a feeling this is going to be harder than I had hoped...

We finally got a potty earlier this week. I've always known that I am *not* one of those parents who is going to wait to start working on potty training until my kids magically decide that they are "ready". Once my children were able to show me that they had an understanding of what was going on in their diapers, I was all about getting started. I want them to at least be familiar with the idea of using a potty while it can still be fun and exciting, and before the defiant stage sets in...

The kids are totally excited about this new potty contraption, and they ask to sit on it several times every day. I always indulge them in this, as I want to do everything I can to encourage potty training as early as possible.

The biggest problem we've had thus far is that they fight over who gets to sit on the potty first. I was hoping that we could get away with only having one potty, with the twins taking turns and cheering for each other's potty victories, but I think we're going to need two of them just to keep the peace. The house keeps getting smaller and smaller...

We've talked about what the potty is, and we have a little song and dance about what should be done there. However, they have yet to produce anything while they are sitting upon the "throne".

And already, the "you'll laugh about this one day" stories have begun:

Last night, Isabel finished eating dinner first. After cleaning her up, she wanted to sit on the potty. Once I helped her get situated, and gave her some reading material, I turned around to help Elijah out of his highchair. In the 30 seconds that my back was turned, Izzie managed to get herself off the potty, sit down next to it, and pee all over the floor and the book she was supposed to be reading while on the potty. Argh!

*for some reason blogger is not allowing me to post photos. I've been trying for two hours. I'll try again later*

3 Comments:

At 5:58 AM , Blogger kazahe said...

I love the potty training story. I also like the fact that your blog has music now. Mostly, because we enjoy the same music. Also, you should check out this blog... www.dooce.com. Her writings about her daughter are hilarious.

I miss you guys!

 
At 7:03 AM , Blogger Tiny's Mom said...

Well, it sounds like you need a bigger house to accomodate all of the potties....time to move up here ;)

 
At 9:17 PM , Blogger Chatter said...

Fellow potty training parent here. I've cleaned up more poop over the past couple weeks than I would prefer :).

Your kids are adorable!

Chandra!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home