Monday, July 30, 2007

summer love

Most people who know me have learned that summer is *not* my favourite time of year. However, there is one thing about summer that even I can't deny beats the pants off of any other season: The produce!

Yesterday I went to the not-so-local-but-totally-worth-every-bit-of-the-drive fruit and vegetable heaven to load up on super fresh, uber cheap produce. I spent less than $35 and arrived home with bags upon bags of amazing fruits and veggies. We now have potatoes, tomatoes, corn, red peppers, mushrooms, leeks, onions, brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, avocados, nectarines, plums, pears, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, and mangoes. The only problem is that I think we might need a bigger refrigerator!

For breakfast this morning, the twins each had a waffle, veggie bacon, and a massive mound of fresh fruit. In all, they ate a whole mango, half of a container of strawberries, and a handful of blueberries, raspberries and cherries.
They've started doing this hilarious thing where they exuberantly say "mmmmm" when they like their food. Once it's all gone, they sign "more" and start pounding on the table until I've fulfilled their demands!

I'm very happy that they love fruit so much. They get very little refined sugar in their diet (only a little taste on special occasions) so fruit is the only way that they get to taste sweet things. Hopefully they'll maintain these healthy habits throughout their lives.

3 Comments:

At 3:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fruit looks so yummy!!!

For a change of pace and "refinement" bring them over to my place and I'll introduce them to the really good stuff...we have cupcakes :)

I take that back...HAD cupcakes. But I can get more!

 
At 1:16 PM , Blogger Julie Shaw said...

I am glad they enjoy fruit so much...its really good for them

 
At 3:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamie & Jon,
This is the first time that I have visited your blog. I have thought of both of you often as well as your twins. My boys, Adisu and Dileayhu, are doing fantastic. They are also from Mudula so I hope that at some point we could get together. I think it would be really cool if they could get have some sort of relationship. Dileayhu is full of information about Ethiopia which you would probably find interesting. Also, when you sent us the card way back in March with the picture of your babies, Dileayhu pointed at Isabel and said Adisu....they look a lot alike. Take care.
Sally Saunders

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home