Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Our Wake-Up Routine

I need to share this because it's one of the most precious moments of my day, and I don't ever want to forget what it's like to wake up with these amazing little people.

Every morning, when I hear the soft babbling and giggles of the twins, I open their door to gigantic smiles and bouncing excitement. It's as if they're trying to say "it's you! we're so glad you're here!"

I sing our hello song, give them each kisses, and then change their diapers.

I usually change Isabel first (only because once I pick up Elijah, he won't let me put him down without a major tantrum). When I pick her up, she rests her head on my shoulder to give me a hug. when I lay her on the changing table, she stretches, and I tickle her tummy. After I've disposed of the dirty diaper, I use hand sanitizer, and give Izzie a little lotion, since she's begun to copy me by rubbing her hands together. After she has a fresh diaper, I put her back into her crib and repeat the process with Elijah.

Elijah's not too fond of diaper changes, but once we get a clean diaper on him, he starts to get very silly. Sometimes he plays peek-a-boo, but mostly he just smiles and laughs. I am so lucky to have two truly happy, sweet, smart, and adorable children.

After the diaper changes, I pick up both kids, one in each arm, and we walk over to the mirror where we wave "hello" to ourselves. Then the twins each give me a kiss, and then they give each other kisses.

This routine has just sort of developed. I have no idea how long it will go on, but in those moments, I'm reminded exactly why I wanted to become a parent.

1 Comments:

At 2:08 PM , Blogger Mark and Sarah said...

Oh, Jayme, that is the sweetest little routine I've heard of...I love the kisses at the end!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home