favourite things: toy edition
In the spirit of the season, and as inspiration to other parents looking for fun, unique, educational gifts for their kiddos, I thought I'd post some of our favourite playthings. Some of these things are things we already own. Others are just on our wish list. It sure is nice to dream!
I'm very much drawn to heirloom quality toys with bright colours that present opportunities for learning through play. My background as a preschool teacher has taught me that durability and longevity (meaning liklihood that a toy will "evolve" with the child as they grow older and make developmental gains) are critical. Each item on this list has been chosen with those things in mind. Without further ado...
Marvel all in one Play Kitchen: I love everything about this play kitchen, The bold colours are so inviting, and the fact that this one unit has a stovetop, backsplash, oven, sink, countertop, refrigerator, microwave, phone, shelves and hooks for storage makes it an incredible find. This will be the twins' Christmas splurge gift.
I'm very much drawn to heirloom quality toys with bright colours that present opportunities for learning through play. My background as a preschool teacher has taught me that durability and longevity (meaning liklihood that a toy will "evolve" with the child as they grow older and make developmental gains) are critical. Each item on this list has been chosen with those things in mind. Without further ado...
Marvel all in one Play Kitchen: I love everything about this play kitchen, The bold colours are so inviting, and the fact that this one unit has a stovetop, backsplash, oven, sink, countertop, refrigerator, microwave, phone, shelves and hooks for storage makes it an incredible find. This will be the twins' Christmas splurge gift.

Vilac Puppet Theatre: I'm absolutely in love with this! I adore the global theme, and I can just see the whimsical performances that this theatre might inspire!

Stacrobats: This magnetic stacking circus toy features characters with a variety of skin tones.

Ryan's Room 120 piece unit blocks: a good set of blocks builds motor skills and develops creative imaginations. I've been giving the twins a few blocks to learn how to use them before presenting the whole set. They both love to stack the cylinders.

Plan Toys Balancing Cactus Game: this adorable game teaches how to balance, improves fine motor coordination, and encourages turn taking.

Vilac cars and trucks: I love these glossy, colourful cars and trucks from France. I love all of the different utility truck options. I can just envision Izzie and Elijah racing their cars down the hallway, learning about road construction, and pretending to be police, firemen, or milk delivery drivers!


Knit Waffle and Fruit Breakfast Play Food: washable, durable, adorable.

Wheelybug Large Bee Ride on Toy: The wheels turn 360 degrees so little ones don't get stuck. Could this bee any cuter?

Schleich Animals: There are so many different animals to choose from that it's easy to go overboard! I'm so impressed by the degree of realism put into the design of these animals, and I love that entire animal families are available. Schleich offers collections of farm animals, wild animals, african animals, pets, sea life, dinosaurs, and prehistoric animals. They even have an Ethiopian Ibex! We will be using these as potty training incentives.




(Special Note: I have found the best prices on Schleich Animals at Ridge Road Station. They are $.40 to $1.50 cheaper than anywhere else, and they are currently running a free shipping promotion for all Schleich orders over $35!)
Wooden Roller Coaster Park:
So much cooler than your typical train set, this playset has a working ferris wheel, a merry go round, carnival games, food stands, and a working rollercoaster!
OBalls: These flexible, soft balls have holes cut out of the sides for easy gripping. They're great for teaching young children how to catch and throw, and the smaller size is perfect to throw into a bag for travel. These can be used indoors or out, and even in the bathtub. You can also put objects into the center and encourage kids to problem solve and get them out!So much cooler than your typical train set, this playset has a working ferris wheel, a merry go round, carnival games, food stands, and a working rollercoaster!

Pewter Stars Bubble Wand: This is completely extravagant, but I love its whimsy.

Cash Register and Balance Scale from Haba Toys: I love the back-to-basics modern design of Haba's wooden toys. The simplistic but beautiful cash register has no bells or whistles -- just colourful buttons to press, an abacus for counting, and a storage compartment for money or other treasures. The working scale encourages beginning math and measurement skills.

Party Cake from I'm Toy: We have a couple of toys from German toy manufacturer I'm Toy, and they are easily among the twins' favourite things. You just can't beat quality wood construction at affordable prices with bright colours and lots of different uses. This cake would also be perfect for a tea party!

Imma Dress up Doll: This gorgeous doll is handmade in Morocco to withstand rougher play. She comes with removeable clothing and hair you can style. This is the type of doll that could be handed down for generations!

Automoblox: These super cool car puzzle sets seem to be the thing to have this year. Of course I'm attracted to the colours, but I also think the whole idea of having a car you can take apart, rebuild, and then play with is ingenius. These cars encourage motor skill development, imaginitive play, and creativity all at once. The best feature? The different cars can be combined to create entirely new vehicles.

Candeloos: What a fun way to light up your nights! These adorable little guys can be used as nightlights on a regular basis, or flashlights for camping trips or blackouts.

Fair Trade Waldorf Doll: This sweet fair trade doll is handmade with all natural materials by artisans in Bangladesh and India

Felt Flowers from the Land of Nod: These gorgeous flowers are a beautiful adornment to a play table or a child's room. I love when the twins bring me hand-picked bouquets.

Lyngby Dollhouse: These little houses are perfect storage containers for all sorts of treasures. Constructed with felt, they have a zipper at the top to keep contents safe.




3 Comments:
I thought I was done with my holiday shopping till I say this post. AAAAAHAHHHHHHH!!!! I must have ALL of them. What amazing toys!
All are fabulous!
I can't believe that you put this up without making it password protected knowing full well that I am in the early stages of budget-training, and forbidden from bringing anymore toys into our home!!!!! Tease!
Well, hurry up and buy that house so we can come over and play.
P.S. I thought I should add that the Vilac cars come in PINK :)
I'm just going to start shopping at your blog. Seriously, stop posting all this cute stuff - I can't afford it! :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home