Ruminations on a New Year
I want to begin by wishing everyone in blogland a happy new year.
For me, 2006 was a rollercoaster year. We began the year not knowing where we would live (our choices were Minnesota, Portland, or Chicago depending on the job offer that Jon accepted). We had also come to the decision that we wanted to adopt a child (the decision to adopt siblings came later).
The first half of the year was very busy as we completed our homestudy, compiled dossier documents, got fingerprinted, and ran around to make sure everything was notarized.
My mom had fallen and broken her back in February, and spent several weeks in hospitals and rehab centers. She spent the majority of 2006 in one hospital or another, and we would visit nearly every day. I still treasure those moments.
Summer came quickly and we attended several weddings, graduation parties, and other get togethers. In August I went to Thailand with my best friend from 5th grade, and it was the trip of a lifetime.
At the same time I was getting ready to go to Thailand, my mom got really sick. she wanted me to go on the trip, though, so she could see the pictures and hear the stories.
In September we realized that although she had fought harder than anyone could imagine, the cancer had just ravaged her body. It became a matter of quality of life versus quantity, and we knew that we had to let her go. She died September 23rd 2006 -- one day after Jon and my anniversary. She was at home, comfortable, and surrounded by her friends and family.
October and November were especially difficult months for us. I was still trying to make sense of the timing of my mother's death (so close to when we thought we might get our referral -- she was SO excited about having grandchildren), and, of course, I was on edge knowing that our referral could be coming at any moment.
December 11th was the most joyful day of 2006. We finally had names and faces for our children! We are still over the moon with excitement and happiness in knowing who our children are. We have recieved the most amazing gift this holiday season. The babies give us all so much hope for an incredible future!
As the year came to a close, I realised that things will be quite different in 2007. The children will bring us so much joy. Holidays will be very different, both in the absence of my mother, but also in the presence of the babies. I have a feeling that 2007 will be a great year.


1 Comments:
I happened across your blog and it caught my eye since we are also in Evanston. We came home last summer with our 3 1/2 year old son from Vietnam. Our referral came a month after my mil passed away from cancer. That kind of timing just stinks!
Good luck on your journey.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home