Monday, February 11, 2008

Tagged: The 8

8 things that I am passionate about:

  • Ensuring that all children have access to an education that values their cultural identity as well as their unique individual abilities.
  • Finding balance.
  • Changing the world one person at a time.
  • Living with intention.
  • Traveling the world.
  • Living my life according to the highest ethical standards.
  • Active anti-racism.
  • Art / Aesthetic / Beauty.
8 things I want to do before life changes my channel:
  • Climb Kilimanjaro (Machame Route)
  • Open my own magnet school based on an educational philosophy I research and develop.
  • Restore an old home (either a Arts and Crafts style Bungalow or a Queen Anne Victorian).
  • Live abroad.
  • Hike to Machu Picchu and take the train out after exploring the ruins and taking a dip in the Aguas Calientes hot springs.
  • Travel the world with my children.
  • Sing for an audience of more than just my friends.
  • Watch (and hopefully help) my children become who they are.
8 things I say often:
  • I love you.
  • Say I'm sorry and give your sister / brother a hug.
  • Stop.
  • Seriously?
  • Come here.
  • Good job.
  • Can we take a nap?
  • I want...
8 t.v. shows I recently watched:
  • House Hunters
  • Anything on the DIY network
  • LOST!!!
  • Grey's Anatomy (Season 1)
  • Ellen
  • The Election Results on 2/10
  • The Election Results on 2/9
  • The Election Results on 2/5
8 songs I could listen to over and over (and do):
  • Joyful Girl: ani difranco
  • Apple Tree: Erykah Badu
  • Last Goodbye:Jeff Buckley
  • Everybody got their Something: Nikka Costa
  • Star Mile: Joshua Radin and Priscilla Ahn
  • Kissing the Lipless: The Shins
  • Bigger than Hip Hop: Dead Prez
  • Red Beans and Rice: Spearhead
8 things that attract me to my friends:
  • honesty
  • open-mindedness
  • humour
  • intelligence
  • creativity
  • passion
  • ethics
  • compassion for all
8 things I have learned this past year:
  • Most people are really only concerned about themselves.
  • Because of #1, I need to put myself first more often than I do.
  • Most situations are far more complex than we can possibly understand.
  • I need to learn to appreciate things without having to possess them.
  • Although I love my children dearly, I will never parent another baby if I have any say in the matter.
  • With the right amount of determination, clarity of intention, and luck, you can make good things happen.
  • Trying to figure out how I fit into the role of mother without having a mother is extremely difficult.
I'm supposed to tag 8 people, but I'm not sure I know 8 people who haven't already been tagged. If you're reading this and haven't done it yet, then you're it!

5 Comments:

At 12:44 PM , Blogger Stacy said...

omg I can totally help you accomplish one of your 8 things before life changes your channel!!!! I have an arts and crafts bungalow, it needs restoring ... it's only 7ish hours away ... I am thinking floor refinishing, some history digging and the kitchen definately needs to be brought back in time ... then there is the attic space ... yeah Jayme, I'd totally watch the kids!

 
At 3:05 PM , Blogger Cindy said...

Believe me, you do NOT want to restore an old house :). At least never do it more than once. Maybe someday, just someday, we may actually get to the second floor (by the time the boys are old enough to help and want some really cool rooms!).

BTW, actually how ethical is it to burn oil, pollute, and emit unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere as your jet setting around the world? Hey, just a thought! (Sorry, I'm such a spoiler!)

I like that Jeff Buckley song too.

:D

 
At 3:07 PM , Blogger Cindy said...

P.S. What is a DYI channel?

 
At 4:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely think you need to share that voice of yours. You can sing lady!

 
At 5:14 PM , Blogger jayme said...

Oh but I *DO* want to restore an old house. It's totally a pipe dream of mine since I currently possess *no* hammer skills, but I often take the kids to home depot just so we can admire the sheetrock. One of my favourite blogs is www.houseinprogress.net and I'm a huge fan of architectural salvage places... I actually wanted to be an architect for the first 16 years of my life, and in my spare time, I draw floorplans and room views...

Stacy, one of these days we'll get up there to visit. I'm dying to see your house!!!

The DIY network is essentially the do it yourself version of HGTV. I appreciate the fact that they give a better sense of how to actually accomplish projects rather than assuming that everyone is just going to hire out contractors.

The ethics thing is always a tough issue, and at some point I think you just have to do what you consider to be the least harmful. I figure that as long as I support local artisans, stay at non-chain hotels, and try to do some volunteer work everywhere I go, I'm at least contributing something as well as receiving a multitude of benefits for myself. Plus, there are sites like http://www.terrapass.com/
that allow consumers to purchase carbon credits to offset our individual impacts on the environment.

That plus my husband's dedication to his job, and making sure that we vote for governmental representatives and policies that will enforce stronger EPA regulations and investment in alternative sources of energy are our contributions to helping ensure that we leave the world in as good shape as possible for future generations.

Thanks Nancy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home